Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving calories reviewed

They might call it Black Friday, but at this point, I'd prefer to call it Full Friday.

At present I'm sitting in my pajamas, watching TV and trying to let my stomach recover from the onslaught of Thanksgiving. Going for run is about the furthest thing from my mind at this point. Heck, walking across the street might even be beyond my ambitions at this point.

Like any other Thanksgiving, I indulged a little more than I should've at dinner, with gravy topping everything from mashed pototoes to stuffing and the pumpkin pie tin becoming well-aquainted with the digging of my fork. And since I didn't need to worry about driving anywhere upon arrival to the dinner, alcoholic beverages were also on the menu.

For the sake of entertainment and education, I carried around a pad of paper and a pen for the day and took down the calorie intake of all things consumed. I did this by either looking at the nutritional value on the containers of things I was eating/drinking, or by looking them up on this website. By the time I finished adding everything up, I felt like John Belushi in the cafeteria scene in "Animal House."

Here is how the calorie content for the day breaks down:

  • 1 fiber bar - 140 calories
  • 1 bowl of generic raisin bran cereal - 260 calories (note: the cereal and bar were consumed before I arrived at the actual Thanksgiving dinner)
  • 2 glasses of white zinfandel - 292 calories
  • 2 servings turkey - 660 calories
  • 2 servings ham - 376 calories
  • 3 servings mashed potatoes - 333 calories
  • 3 servings gravy - 300 calories
  • 3 servings stuffing - 330 calories
  • 1 serving fruit gelatin - 243 calories
  • 1 rum and Diet Coke - 80 calories
  • 3 dinner rolls - 270 calories
  • 3 slices of pumpkin pie - 810 calories
  • 4 cans Bud Light - 440 calories
  • 1 slice of apple pie - 400 calories
  • 1 slice of oreo pie - 470 calories
  • 1 serving peanut brittle - 180 calories
  • 1 White Russian - 360 calories
  • 1 margarita - 325 calories

Total calories consumed for the day: 6269. According to the exercise calorie counter I have on my blog, it would take roughly seven hours of biking 14-15.9 mph (around 100 miles of total biking) or a little more than seven hours of running 7 mph (8:34 mile average and more than 40 miles of total running) to burn off the calories.

With that in mind, I think I'm going to go hop on the treadmill for awhile

1 comment:

  1. At least for Festivus you can burn off some calories during the Feats of Strength.

    ReplyDelete

 

yaz