Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Riding to the Root: So far, so good

Greetings from the wind-blown roads of Waseca County.

It is 9 a.m. and I am currently in the town of Waldorf. I've been on the road for about 2 1/2 hours and I am between 25-30 miles into my trip (I would look up the route map for exact mileage, but the Internet connection is pretty slow here).

According to the cashier at Dave's Groceries in Waldorf, there's a 50% chance of rain today. So I'll try to make this post brief in an attempt to put in as many miles as possible before bad weather hits.

The ride has been going fairly well so far. The initial back roads on my route weren't what I was hoping for (I don't like to ride on dirt roads, particularly while hauling 25 pounds of gear), but Highway 83 from St. Clair to Waldorf had surprisingly little traffic. This actually worked out well mileage-wise, as Highway 83 is easily the shortest route for this leg of the trip.

I've also had good luck with the bike so far, as there are no mechanical issues to report (fingers crossed on that). Big thanks to Jon Andersen at Flying Penguin for fixing my broken spoke yesterday on short notice. He's been a big help in making me feel ready for this trip.

Really, the only issue so far has been the wind. According to the Weather Channel, it is blowing at 15 mph coming from the southeast, so it has pretty much been blowing in my face for the entire ride.

The next leg of the route has me heading straight east toward Geneva. Hoping to get there in time for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yaz