Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The "running" playlist


Throughout the course of my blogging, I've probably received about five emails from readers asking me about what songs I'd recommend for a 'running' playlist.

I always thought the question was a little odd. After all, everyone has different tastes in music. It also depends on what type of music you enjoy running to. Some people like a slow, steady beat, some like fast-paced, some just like listening to their favorite band.

I personally don't go with a playlist while running. For one thing, I like the randomness of putting my mp3 on shuffle. For another, I still haven't figured out how to upload playlists onto the darn thing (I'm technology illiterate, please help me).

However, after the topic was brought up to me recently by a coworker whose wife is getting into running, I started wondering what songs I would put on a hypothetical 'running' playlist.

Here is the list I came up with, but before I go into it, please keep the following in mind:

  • I don't claim to be a music savant by any means. I only have about 1,100 songs in my music library and I'm sure there are an endless number of bands that would contribute nicely to this list. Please do not send me angry emails if I forgot a "crucial" band.
  • That being said, I have a pretty diverse music tastes. I grew up on classic rock and country, rebelled with a Green Day/punk phase in middle school and watched an inordinate amount of BET when my parents weren't home. I also listen to The Current regularly and have recently developed a taste for bluegrass music.
  • The lone exception to my interests is the boy band/pop brand of music. I have a fair amount of Michael Jackson, but there are no Backstreet Boys/N Sync/Britney Spears songs to be found on my mp3 player.
  • I tried to keep my list to 30 songs and limited my choices to songs that are actually on my mp3 player. I guess I'm hoping to actually make this as a playlist if I ever get around to it.
  • There are several bands that I enjoy listening to that got left on this list. Apologies to the Beatles, Nirvana and David Bowie. It's not you, it's me.
  • Fair warning: The language on some of these songs is a little vulgar. I tried not to limit my choices to songs that would be considered "family friendly." So if you have sensitive ears, please do not listen to "100 Miles and Runnin'."

Anyway, here's the list. Feel free to email me with any other suggestions:

Pert Near Sandstone -- I am the Walrus (available on the Minnesota Beatles Project Vol. 2 CD)
The Lost Fingers -- Billie Jean (they do AMAZING acoustic covers of '80's music, by the way)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yaz