Monday, February 22, 2010

Halfway to the marathon

Sunday marked a semi-momentous day in my training: the unofficial halfway point to Grandma's Marathon in June.

It feels like that marathon is just around the corner, even though in reality, it's still about four months away. I intentionally started the training early to get through any injuries that might have occurred and to ensure that I would ease into heavy running weeks rather than jumping straight from 15 to 40 miles.

Well, at the halfway point, here's how it breaks down:

I have been training for 17 full weeks and amassed a grand total of 497 miles. That equates out to an average of a little more than 29 miles a week. My highest total for one week was 43 (my total last week) and my lowest total was 8 (holiday week with the family, kind of hard to find time to run). My longest individual run was 12 miles and my shortest ones were generally in the 3-4 mile speed drill range. For weight loss, my goal was to drop 25 pounds by June, and I have so far dropped about 9 (depending on the time of day and the scale, of course).

Overall. I'm pretty pleased with my training so far. I was hoping to be averaging more weekly miles at this point, but I had a lull during the holiday season and a sore achilles to contend with. My mileage has ticked noticeably upward in the last seven weeks (254 miles, average of more than 36 a week), and I'll take that as a sign that my training has progressed for the better. The weight loss has been a bit slow, but I'd rather focus on being "light on my feet" rather than obsessively trying to cut calories. 

From here, I'm hoping to average around 40 miles a week, have a long run of 15-20 miles every week, and start ticking my average mile time down to the 7-minute range for average. I also plan on incorporating more hill workouts into my routine once the weather (and more importantly, the icy sidewalks) improves. 

Considering my progression so far, those goals seem very reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

yaz